Every good movie has a sequel and good apps should have sequels too. Fortunately, Simplex Spelling Phonics 2 picks up where the first app left off and provides the same fun learning experience for students of all ages. You get the same interface so children who have used the already easy-to-use interface in previous Pyxwise products will waste no time learning how to use Phonics 2. Even children who haven’t used one of Pyxwise’s products before will have no trouble learning the controls.
With 650 words in the hopper and instructional lessons to go along with spelling concepts, students will get a solid understanding of how to pronounce words in the English language.
There are also some new features to go along with the familiar interface:
- Students can view the spelling lists directly from the home menu.
- Teachers and parents can choose the number of times that a word needs to be correct before it will be called “Mastered”.
- Up to 40 users with each app.
One other thing that’s really nice about Phonics 2 it’s accessibility to older students as well as the young. This means the ESL students and other adult students can benefit from using this app without having to wade through over-cheerful characters, pink unicorns, and rainbows.
I think you’ll find that Simplex Spelling Phonics 2 is a must-have if you have children who need some help with spelling. The multi-user aspect means you don’t need to drop extra money on either a second app or a second device for your children. Simplex Spelling Phonics 2 is as impressive as its predecessor and all the other products offered by Pyxwise.
Simplex Spelling Phonics 2 Syllables – Spell To Read – Pyxwise Software Inc.
Rated 4+ (recommended for 6+)
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 4.0 or later.
- Over 650 high frequency spelling words to help build literacy.
- Words are spoken and used in a sentence to establish context and improve vocabulary.
- Introductory spelling list seamlessly leads a student through all of the application’s features.
- 54 instructional lessons teach syllables, phonics, phonograms, and spelling rules.
- A full “reverse phonics” approach that builds phonemic awareness.
- Contextually relevant spelling rule hints that help explain “how to spell” English words.
- Letter by letter feedback system provides feedback while the student is in the process of spelling each word.
- Support for 40 user accounts.
- Remembers each user’s progress in every list.
- User stats screen track progress with every word.
- Ability to set the number of times a word must be spelled correctly to become mastered.
- Supports upper and lower case letters.
- Supports alphabetic and QWERTY keyboard layouts.
- Supports US, UK and Canadian English spelling of words.