There’s a lot of tech news that I cram into this episode along with your answers to the question of the week.
New Kindle Devices
- Kindle Voyage—Prices starts at $199. The device comes with a 300 ppi display, new adaptive front light, it’s thinner than all other devices, and has a battery that lasts weeks.
- Kindle with Touch—Prices start at $79. New touchscreen, faster processor and double the previous storage.
- Kindle Paperwhite—Prices start at $119. Double the storage but remains mostly the same.
- Kindle Fire HD Kids Edition—Prices start at $149. Comes with 1 year of FreeTime Unlimited, a “kid-proof” case, and 2 year worry-free guarantee.
- Kindle Fire HD—Prices start at $99. 6- or 7-inch display. 8GB or 16GB of storage. Multiple colors.
- Kindle Fire HDX—Prices start at $179. 7- or 8.9-inch display. 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB of storage. 4G LTE cellular service available.
Microsoft recently announce the name of their upcoming operating system: Windows 10. According to Microsoft they chose to skip a version number because this isn’t an incremental release. Here’s what you can expect:
- A different experience on different platforms
- Minor new features
- A different approach to touch
- Continuum will allow tablet users to easily switch between touch and keyboard modes
New ad-free social network that charges for premium features. Here’s what parents need to know:
- Fake accounts are OK.
- Very little privacy.
- There is adult content.
- Currently invite-only.
Leave a Voicemail
You can call 518-290-0228 to leave me a message or use this convenient widget to record a message right from your computer.
Want to be notified of any upcoming news regarding the podcast or if I’m speaking in your area? Join my spam-free mailing list. You’ll receive monthly updates and news about future projects and I’ll let you know if I’m speaking in your area at a homeschooling convention.
The Wired Homeschool is a proud member of the Tech Podcast Network. For more family-friendly tech podcasts visit techpodcasts.com
Music for the podcast by Kevin Macleod.